Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I test ride a bike? Bikes are available for free test rides at partner locations and local bike shops (listed below) as well as at special GoSGV demo events.
- What does the check-out process look like? After completing the interest form and providing proof of residency, GoSGV program staff will reach out directly to the customer to schedule delivery or pickup. Payment and waivers will be sorted at time of pickup or delivery.
- Is there a maximum check-out period for the standard e-bikes? At this time there is no maximum period for the standard commuter bike. There is a maximum period of 2 months for the e-cargo bike.
- How old do I have to be to sign up? You must be at least 18 years old to register for the program.
- Do I need to wear a helmet while riding? The CA Vehicle Code requires that anyone under the age of 18 wear a helmet while operating a bicycle. However the GoSGV team encourages everyone to wear a helmet while bicycling, and support an SGV bike shop if you need a helmet!
- Do I ever have to bring the bike in for ongoing maintenance? No, not unless there’s a specific issue. The bikes are built with heavy duty parts (that do not require regular maintenance or adjustments).
- What do I do if I have an issue while riding the e-bike? Depending on the issue, users would need to bring the bicycle to a participating bike shop (listed below - we suggest contacting local shops before you stop by) or contact the GoSGV team for support.
- Around the Cycle - (626)-765-6601 | 1270 Lincoln Avenue #1500, Pasadena, CA 91103
- The Cub House - (626) 755-3003 | 2510 Mission St., San Marino 91108 (one mile from the Metro Gold/L Line South Pasadena Station)
- Stan’s Bike Shop - (626-804-7400) | 732 N Azusa Ave, Azusa, CA 91702 (one block from the Metro Gold/L Line Downtown Azusa Station)
- The Bicycle Central- (626) 963-2312 | 121 W. Route 66 Glendora CA 91740
- Incycle Pasadena- (626)-577-0440 | 175 S Fair Oaks Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105
- Covina Valley Cyclery - (626) 332-5200 | 203 S. Citrus Ave, Covina CA 91723
- Jimmy's Bikes - (626) 465–5557 | 14334 Ramona Blvd. Baldwin Park CA 91706
- Trek Bicycles Pasadena - (626) 377-4114 | 323 S. Arroyo Pkwy, Pasadena CA 91105
- The Local Bike Stand- (909) 480-1309 | 748 East Bonita Avenue Suite 101, Pomona CA 91767
- The Unchained Bicycle Garage - (626) 239-6622 | 341 E. Foothill Blvd. Arcadia CA 91006 *Note: This location provides mobile service as well as in-shop service. We will still cover the repair cost for the first flat repair but not any additional charges for their mobile service.
- ActiveSGV headquarters in the central SGV - appointments required, please email us.
- More to come!
- Do I need to do anything to take my bike into a GoSGV partner shop for maintenance? You should contact your closest shop (see list above) first to confirm availability and then bring the bike to a participating location.
- Can I take the bike to any bike shop for maintenance? No. Out of network bike shops will not have the tools necessary to do most repairs. Please see list above.
- Are flats and other basic repairs covered in my monthly fee? Basic wear-and-tear will be covered by the program. One flat tire will also be covered by the program. Other repairs will be based on a fixed price list:
- 2nd Flat repair - $50 (first flat is free)
- Brake adjustment - $15
- Derailleur adjustment - $15
- Broken spoke - $50
- No charge for normal wear-and-tear on parts.
- What is the Deposit? When will I get it back? Upon delivery a $250 hold for a standard bike or $500 for a cargo bike is required. Upon return of the bicycle you will be refunded.
- Under what circumstances would my deposit not be returned (in part or in full)? If a bicycle is returned with damage exceeding the value of the deposit, the bicycle is not returned, program staff has to assist in bike recovery, or the bicycle is returned with outstanding payments, the user will not be refunded, or may only receive a partial return of deposit.
- How much does delivery to my home cost? We are happy to deliver or pick-up your E-bike via electric cargo van for $45.
- How is credit card information collected/stored? The program utilizes Square to process and secure payment information.
- How can I update or change my billing information? You will be able to update their information directly via Square or by contacting program staff.
- What if my credit card is unable to be charged? If a card is canceled or otherwise not functioning, program staff will reach out to you via contact information on file to reconcile the issue.
- What if my bike gets stolen? Program participants are responsible for the bicycle so long as it is in their possession. If the bike is stolen the deposit will not be refunded and the user will be responsible for the balance of the value of the bicycle. If a user is the victim of crime they should file a report with the local police department and notify program staff immediately. GoSGV staff will do our best to help track down any stolen bicycles. We also encourage users to file an insurance claim, if possible (renter’s insurance should cover instances of theft).
- How can I reduce the likelihood of theft? We strongly recommend locking your bike in a secure location when not in use, including inside your home or residence, workplace, or garage. Shared garage spaces are less secure and more prone to theft; we do not recommend parking bikes overnight in shared garage spaces. In public spaces bikes should be locked to a good quality bike rack (check to ensure it's bolted firmly into the ground) or equivalent, ideally in a visible space. While the monthly rental fee includes a lock, the use of second personal lock will provide additional security and is recommended.
- How did this program come about? The San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments applied to the Caltrans Active Transportation Program (CA-ATP) to launch a regional bicycle share program with CA Climate Investments funding. Originally the program was to be based upon a more traditional bicycle share model with fixed stations. However given the many challenges with such systems, especially in suburban communities where distances between housing and key destinations are significant, the SGVCOG worked with ActiveSGV to embrace a more decentralized, long-term, electric-bike only approach to bike share inspired by successful programs in the France, Australia, and the Netherlands.
- I participated in the program and now want to purchase an E-bike. Are there any rebate or incentive programs? If you live in southern California, have an old car you want to get rid of, and meet the income thresholds, the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) has a "Replace Your Ride" program (www.replaceyourride.com) that offers up to $9,500 if you trade in an old car (2007 year or before) for an E-bike, EV, and/or transit passes. Please be aware that it can take up to 4 months before you are assigned to a case manager. Applications are processed in the order they are received.
- Share to own- Sign up for a GoSGV classic commuter bike, enjoy it for 36 months, and then give it a forever home! See below for some commonly asked questions.
- Is this like a lease? Do I need to commit to 36 months at sign up? No. You are not required to sign up for 36 months. If you reach this milestone, however, you qualify.
- 36 month's is based on a $69 membership
Student Rate ($49)= 50 Months
Income Qualified ($29) = 85 Months
- If I leave the program and return, will my prior time be credited? No. You must remain a member of the program for an uninterrupted 36 month time period to qualify.
- Can I swap out my bike during the time period? No.
- Do I need to sign-up for this or will it happen automatically? We will activate it automatically. You qualify when you stay on the program for 36 uninterrupted months.
- Can I get a set of the special tools to maintain the bike once I own? Anti theft items will be replaced to allow for maintenance and repair with standard tools.
- Where or who can I contact in the future for replacement parts/batteries in the future if needed? All parts (including batteries) will be available through ActiveSGV.
23. Are Class I/II e-bikes allowed on County bike paths in the SGV? Yes
24. Is there a speed limit for bicycling on County bike paths in the SGV? No
25. What are the cost comparisons in the LA Area?
- Classic Commuter: $69/month
- Student: $49/month
- Income Qualifying: $29/month
- Cargo: Starting at $129/month (up to 2 months)
- Incycle Bicycles: $120/day
- Velo Pasadena: $80/day
- Bikes and Hikes LA: $75/day
- LA Fly Rides: $115/day (Specialized Vado) | $135/day E-cargo
- Santa Monica Bike Center: $80/day (Orbea) or E-cargo
Still have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org